- Playing golf
- Other sport activities
- Nature Destinations
- Experience Guiadance
- Adventure Parks
- Culinary destination
- Museums and exhibitions
- Sleigh rides
- Churches, castles & palaces
- Cities next to the Almenland
- More destinations
- Cross-country skiing
- Snowshoeing & winter hiking
- Skating rinks & ice climbing
It is thanks to the enthusiastic cheese lover Franz Möstl that today in the tunnel of the former silver mine cheese matures into a delicacy. He turned his passion into a job, bought the "pit house" in 2009 and had a 270 m tunnel built in the mountain and converted the "pit house" into a "cheese workshop".
In the meantime 14 different cheeses of cow, sheep and goat mature here. The cheeses are produced in the Leitner dairy and made exclusively with milk from the alpine region. The international cheese awards reach top rankings year after year. In March 2018, the "Arzberg Ursteirer" was even voted Vice World Champion in the USA and the "Caprissimum" was awarded the title "Best Cheese in Austria" in November 2018 in Norway.
The "Genussladen im Grubenhaus" is open from Monday to Thursday from 8 am to 4 pm and on Friday from 8 am to 12 noon (and during guided tours).
After putting on the “protective clothing”, it goes into the ripening tunnel, in which the cheese matures into a specialty. The cheese master tells interesting facts about cheese care and aging in the cave. Afterwards, the various types of cheese are tasted in the cozy “pit house”.
Fixed guided tours 2021:
- Groups of 8 persons the whole year on Wednesday & Sathurday at 8.30 am; 10 am; 11.30 am; 1 pm; 2.30 pm and 4 pm
- Guided Tours for singles in July & August on Wednesday at 11.30 am; on Friday at 2.30 pm
- only on request
- € 11,00 including tasting with cheese platter
- € 14,50 including tasting with ham & cheese platter
- € 2,50 for children, without tasting
Groups can be from 8 till 50 persons, they can also be arranged on other days by advance appointment. Juices or wine is not included.