- Playing golf
- Sleigh rides
- Other sport activities
- Cross-country skiing
- Snowshoeing & winter hiking
- Skating rinks & ice climbing
- Nature Destinations
- Adventure Parks
- Culinary destination
- Museums and exhibitions
- Churches, castles & palaces
- Cities next to the Almenland
- More destinations
It is thanks to the enthusiastic cheese lover Franz Möstl that today in the tunnel of the former silver mine cheese matures into a delicacy. He turned his passion into a job, bought the "pit house" in 2009 and had a 270 m tunnel built in the mountain and converted the "pit house" into a "cheese workshop".
In the meantime many different cheeses of cow, sheep and goat mature here. The cheeses are produced in the Leitner dairy and made exclusively with milk from the alpine region. The international cheese awards reach top rankings year after year. In March 2018, the "Arzberg Ursteirer" was even voted Vice World Champion in the USA and the "Caprissimum" was awarded the title "Best Cheese in Austria" in November 2018 in Norway.
The "Genussladen im Grubenhaus" is open from Monday to Thursday from 8 am to 4 pm and on Friday from 8 am to 12 noon (and during guided tours).
After putting on the "protective clothing" you go into the maturing tunnel, where the cheese matures into a speciality. The master cheese maker tells interesting facts about cheese care and maturing in the tunnel. Afterwards, the different types of cheese are tasted in the cozy "Grubenhaus".
Tour dates 2022:
- All year round (from 8 people) Wednesday to Saturday at 8.30 a.m., 10.00 a.m., 11.30 a.m., 1.00 p.m. & 2.30 p.m
- Fixed tours for individuals in July & August on Wednesdays at 11.30 a.m
- only with advance notice
- € 11.00 incl. tasting with cheese plate
- € 14.50 incl. tasting with cheese and ham plate
- € 2.50 for children without meals
8 to a maximum of 50 people can visit the Franz Leopold tunnel per tour. Drinks are not included in the price.
Your cookie settings prevent you from viewing this content.
Would you like to change the settings?